Protect Your Family Against Carbon Monoxide

*If you believe your home has a Carbon Monoxide leak, leave the house at once and call Climate Design at (719) 387-5694 to have a technician perform a computerized CO test.

 
Watch a quick video about Carbon Monoxide
 

To Better Understand the Dangers of Carbon Monoxide take a Look at the Following Information from the Comfort Institute

Download a free report from the Comfort Institute

Download a free brochure on the low-level alarm

Order a low-level alarm

Schedule a furnace safety check

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning According to the US Environmental Protection Agency:

"At moderate levels, you or your family can get severe headaches, become dizzy, mentally confused, nauseated, or faint.  You can even die if these levels persist for a long time.  Low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea, and mild headaches, and may have longer term effects on your health.
Since many of these symptoms are similar to those of the flu, food poisoning, or other illnesses, you may not think that CO poisoning could be the cause.
Fetuses, infants, the elderly, and people with anemia or with a history of heart or respiratory disease can be especially susceptible.
"

According to the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta:
"Every year over 600 Americans die due to accidental acute Carbon Monoxide poisoning.  Over 20,000 are made ill and treated for CO poisoning."


 
 

Information You May Not Know About Your Standard "Retail Store" CO Alarms


Carbon Monoxide is measured in parts per million (ppm)
  • Standard UL listed "retail store" CO Detectors do not alarm unless levels of Carbon Monoxide is present in the home at 70 ppm for up to 4 hours.
  • Most fire departments require that firefighters put on oxygen masks before entering a home if levels are over 35 ppm.
   
  • Over 80% of gas companies routinely "Red Tag" or "Shut Off" household appliances when they find Carbon Monoxide at a level of 10 ppm or more.
  • Many doctors and researchers now state that long term exposure to CO levels as low as 10 ppm can lead to permanent mental & physical health damage and disability.
  • ASHRAE, EPA, Utility Companies, and many Fire Departments say if the level of CO found in your home is greater than 9 ppm you definitely have a problem.
   
  • 10 to 69 ppm could be in your home indefinitely, and a standard "retail store" CO alarm would probably NEVER go off.
  • 70 ppm could be present for up to four hours before listing standard requires it to alarm.

CLIMATE DESIGN
431 W. Bijou St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80905
Main Office: (719) 282-9729
Fax: (719) 282-1764

SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
Call us 24 hours a day at (719) 282-9729
or email us your request

RECEIVE OUR NEWSLETTER
Click here to subscribe